Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Advertising on XBOX 360

   Product placement in video games in nothing new, but just recently I saw something I thought was pretty innovative. 
   
   I was playing Madden 2008 with a friend on his XBOX 360. As we were playing, I noticed that the "jumbotron" in the arena had an advertisement for the movie Walk Hard. I thought it was strange that a studio would take the trouble to advertise a movie on a video game. At this point Madden 2008 was several months old and I figured they must have spent a fortune to grab that ad space in the game as well as have planned the ad placement way in advance. What is more, the advertisement will virtually be worthless in a few weeks, once the movie has gone in and out of theaters, and a new version of the game would not come out for almost a year.
   
   When I realized what was going on,  I really had to applaud XBOX.  Even though we were not playing online, the ads in the arena we being automatically being updated through the XBOX live connection. I assume that XBOX does this for all sports games as well as for some other genres. I am sure companies jump at the chance to advertise to the demographics who play XBOX 360 with an online connection. Additionally, the ads do not seem intrusive to the gamer because the updated ads only ad to the realism of the arena. 
Way to go XBOX.