Monday, March 24, 2008

Voice to Text with Jott


Before yesterday, I had never clicked on a Google sponsored ad. Low and behold I was through checking my gmail in class (after I was through checking my NCAA brackets, ESPN.com, Craigslist, eBay, my bank account, E*Trade, and drudgereport: my usual routine) when I still had some time on my hands. I saw a banner ad for Jott, a free voice to text service, above one of my emails. I have been interested in voice to text technology for some time now but I have always been skeptical about how well those kinds of services work. I am a pretty pathetic typer so I have always dreamed of being able to speak my papers instead of type them. Anyway, I clicked on the link and signed up for the service. It took only a minute or two.



Basically, Jott.com lets you call their toll free number and leave up to a 30 second message that will be recorded and translated to text which can be viewed on your Jott page. You can listen to the audio there as well. You can also set up groups on the site so you can dictate messages to other people who have Jott. There is also a message feature that allows you to send yourself little reminders via text or email. I usually carry a pen a pad to take down all my notes and messages to myself, but this week I am going to try doing some jotting.
   


The text translations are not perfect. But so far, I have sent myself a handful of message and have been pretty surprised with their accuracy. Since you also have the ability to listen to the audio, 100% accuracy is not absolutely crucial to me. Once you call in your message, the audio version appears on your Jott page almost instantly and the text translation appears in a few minutes.



Supposedly this service is free to use. It seems almost too good to be true, but the reviews I have read say Jott is legit. We will see next time I get my phone bill. Try it. Let me know what you think.

No comments: